Monday, September 21, 2009

You did not choose me - John 15: 16-17

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other.


In these verses, Jesus spoke to his disciples. As Christians, we are disciples and should obey Jesus' command. Love involves much more than "feelings". Love requires that we "do" loving things. Obedience is the yard stick by which God measures our love, rather than "warm fuzzies". So closely connected are love and obedience that, according to John, the Apostle, "This is love for God: to obey his commands."


What kind of fruits are you producing? Are they of such high quality that you are receiving whatever you ask in Jesus' name?


I hope and pray so. God has equipped you to go out and productively serve him. When you fully rely on him to prepare you, you won't have to worry about what you will say to those who are in need of assurance, encouragement or Godly love. Ask God to lead you, guide you and direct you in all you say and do so that he is pleased with you.


"True faith is more than just claiming to have faith. Genuine love for God will be expressed through service to others - not to earn salvation, but because a heart that truly loves God will be filled with compassion for people. Jesus wanted his followers to set the pace by helping those who were hurting. Good works that come from people grateful for God's grace are at the heart of true religion." (taken from the Quest Study Bible NIV regarding Matthew 25:35-36)


Nan's Calendar is an expression of "a loving thing." It's what I do. It has become a part of me. You have become a part of me. As you draw closer in your personal relationship to God, you will abide in him and he will abide in you, as he does in me and I in him.


Again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your heartfelt birthday wishes. There were more blessings than I could have imagined! Your sincere prayers helped make it so.


From where I sit, at 50 years old, I'm just beginning bear fruit for the Lord. I look forward to bearing fruit all the rest of my days.


No comments:

Post a Comment