Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Faith and Deeds

James 2
14)What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds?........
26)As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

In the book of James, Chapter 2 verses 14-26, James speaks of faith and deeds.  I only gave you verses 14 and 26, because of the importance of stirring your curiosity to go to the book of James and read the rest of that section for yourself.

Because I had faith in God's direction for the Nan's Calendar message day before yesterday (and every day I write), I believed someone would be touched by the message.  Whether they would respond was a mystery at the time of the writing of the message.

Frank Lloyd Wright said "the thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in the thing makes it happen."

When I received the email from the reader who shared something very personal with me regarding Monday's message, I had a choice.  I could have read it and deleted it without responding.  I had a choice.  To choose to respond, taking time, love, compassion, deliberate thought and especially listening to God for the right words in speaking directly to this person, my deed was in direct alignment with God's will.  I don't have all the answers.  I will tell you what I am full of if you don't already know it by now and I'll tell you what I'm not full of.  I am full of love for my Heavenly Father.  I am continually filled with the Holy Spirit. I am full of faith.  I am full of desire; the desire to help others in whatever way God calls me to help them.
I am not full of myself.  I am not full of self-centered praise.  I am not full of a desire for fame.  As with a sponge, what is soaked in is poured out when it is squeezed.  I've said that before and last Sunday, our guest speaker in Sunday School said it also.  I gave her a huge smile when she said it, because I understood fully what she meant.

I believe it is appropriate to share the response to my personal note with you so that God may receive all the praise and glory.  This person's response to me touched my heart deeply and I know it touched the heart of God deeply.  This is why I do what I do.....for others to be helped and for God to be praised.

"Nan, that was a beautiful letter. I treasure it. When you prayed, I prayed with my hands open to God. Thank you, dear sister in Christ."


This person "prayed with my hands open to God."  As I meditate on this, glory bumps cover my body at this very moment.  This person gave years of suffering a new meaning yesterday.  You don't need to know any details, but now you know the highlights.  Because this person shared something very personal with me and prayed to God "with my hands open", I believe you are being lifted up and encouraged by this person's courage to reveal suffering to me.  Because I responded (a deed born of faith) to the person, and share this with you, those years of suffering will never be viewed the same as before.   


Remember, the thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in the thing makes it happen!  Mr. Wright said it well, didn't he.  I believe he knew what he was talking about.  He died April 9, 1959 at the age of ninety-two.  If you love architecture, you need to google Mr. Wright's biography.  He was a great architect and a great man.  


May our Lord, Jesus Christ, be with you, one and all today.  Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment