Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Who Moved My Cheese - Isaiah 48:17-18

(17) This is what the LORD says --- your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  (18) If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea."

I hope you are curious as to the relationship of today's title and the selected  verses.  What does cheese have to do with you and me?   Who Moved My Cheese is the title of a book by Spencer Johnson, M.D.   I read this book several years ago, and Tuesday evening after work, I found a copy of it in my local Goodwill store.  I was keenly aware of my wonderfully familiar God letting me know I had to buy this book (among several other awesome books).  Little did I know it would be the subject for today's message.

This book contains a parable that reveals to us several profound truths regarding change.  "It is an a-mazing way to deal with change in your work and in your life" (printed on the inside of the book cover.  The story is short, but chock full of insights that can last a lifetime for the reader who decides to apply these unique insights in daily life on the job and in relationships.

But, how is it connected with the Bible verses?  In relation to the maze in the story, we are walking through this maze called life.  Sometimes, when we believe we are on the right path, we come upon a wall that can't be penetrated.  We have to turn around and go in a different direction.  How this connects with the verses is that we strengthen our faith when we rely on God to guide us through the maze.  He will lead us, but we have to be willing to be led.  This involves changing directions when we least anticipate an obstacle.  It takes courage to change directions when we don't know what lies around the next corner.

I'm sure you can find it in your local library.  Check it out.  You will be glad you did!  Trust me!  So somebody moved your cheese....now what will you do about it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment