Monday, December 21, 2009

Gifts and Talents - 1 Peter 4:10-11

Quote of the Day
True humility does not deny gifts and talents, but acknowledges them as gifts from God.  True humility recognizes that there is nothing we have received that did not have its source outside of ourselves.  True humility says, "I have received a talent from the Lord.  I will not deny it, but will use it for His glory."
Author Unknown

(10) Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.  (11) If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God.  If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.  To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever.  Amen.

I've included a special hymn called Have Thine Own Way on the Youtube link at the right.  It is sung by Jim Reeves.  I chose it because God is moulding me and making me after His will.  That is why I write.  I am fulfilling God's purpose for my life.

Apart from God I am nothing.  All I have is because of God's love, mercy and grace poured out upon me. 
We all have a story and every story is important and special.  Mine is no exception, but, it is mine and I owe every breath I breathe to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I left home at age 23 with the clothes on my back knowing if I stayed another day, I would be dead.  I looked death in the face and denyed it.  Again, because of God's love and His plans for my future.  It would be 17 years later before I could say out loud that I had been abused.  I will spare you the details. 
Several years ago, I sat at my computer when my husband and children were snug in their beds, and for the next seven hours I typed, wiped tears, smiled, laughed and praised God.  By morning on December 31st, my story was done.  It is entitled Faith, Hope, and Love.  Among the pages are the good, the bad, and the ugly of my life; the truth as I know it to be. 
The things that happened to me in my youth didn't define the woman I would become and am still becoming.  Not only did I survive, I overcame.  I conquered fears, insecurities, doubts, worries.  The list goes on and on.  I am so very thankful and grateful, and yes, humbled by the knowledge that God gave me the gift of writing inspirational poetry and that a very dear man, Mr. Quentin Clingerman saw something worthwhile in my writings.  I consider Que a hero of mine.  Along with Que are the wonderful poets at http://www.wordchimes.com/ where my (God's) poetry is published.  You simply must visit this website to get a deeper understanding of what happens when people acknowledge God in their lives and write about the truths they hold so dear.  I owe them such a debt of gratitude for all their encouragement, inspiration, motivation and above all, their friendship and Christian love and support.
God prepares us when we aren't aware we are being prepared. He was moulding me and shaping me for service to Him.   Little did I know back then I would be sitting here at my computer writing Nan's Calendar for more than two years, faithfully sharing the love of God with so many people all over the world, doing my best to spread cheer, joy, encouragement and, yes, faith, hope and love to all who would accept this gift I humbly offer.
I offer you this gift not only at Christmas, but any time you visit this site.  Any good you glean from it is because God is speaking to you through me at that moment.  Sometimes, I think the name Nan's Calendar no longer is appropriate, but folks have told me to keep it identified as such. 
If you consider my poems and Nan's Calendar as gifts or talents, I want you to thank God.  Credit must go where credit is due.  
Think of yourself and your own life.  Think of your story.  Write it now.  Don't wait.  You may be amazed at what comes from it.  It's a mystery.  I surely would never have thought I would write poetry or this daily devotional.  Some have called Nan's Calendar a ministry.  Call it what you will.  It is from God and it is from my heart.  He abides in me and I abide in Him.  It is my most sincere honor and privilege to bring to you what God puts on my heart to write.
I look forward to 2010 and the adventures and blessings that await us.  God is preparing right now for blessings we will receive in the days, weeks, and months ahead. 
Go with God.  Grow with God.  Love, Nan


No comments:

Post a Comment