Friday, April 9, 2010

Healthy Giving

Healthy giving is part of healthy living.  The goal in recovery is balance - caring that is motivated by a true desire to give, with an underlying attitude of respect for ourselves and others.
The goal in recovery is to choose what we want to give, to whom, when, and how much.  The goal in recovery is to give, and not feel victimized by our giving.
Are we giving because we want, to, because it's our respnsibility? Or are we giving because we feel obligated, guilty, ashamed, or superior?  Are we giving because we feel afraid to say no?
Are the ways we try to assist people helpful, or do they prevent others from facing their true responsibilities?
Are we giving so that people will like us or feel obligated to us?  Are we giving to prove we're worthy? Or are we giving because we want to give and it feels right?  Melody Beattie from her book entitled The Language of Letting Go

That last line of the quote applies to me.  I'm giving because I want to give and it feels right.  There was a time in my life when some of the other scenarios of giving applied.  I've learned and I'm still learning.  We are all in a state of recovery.  The addiction to sin is rampant.  We are all in a walking recovery.  Which disciple was it who said "I do the things I don't want to do and I don't do the things I want to do." 
We all have a choice in each and every situation we encounter.  It is up to us to find that balance for which we seek.  Do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.  Think before speaking and think before acting. 
We were created to be loving and giving.  Then sin came into the world.  We are equipped to be conquerers of sin.  Healthy giving is a part of healthy living.  I want you to do more than exist in this world.  I want you to thrive!!!!  I want you to do more than take shallow breaths.  I want you to breathe deeply of the Breath of Life!  Take care and have a wonderful day!  Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment