Friday, June 18, 2010

Afterglow or Aftermath

Surely God would not have created such a being as man to exist for only a day!  No, no, man was made for immortality.
Abraham Lincoln

He has made everything beautiful in its time.  He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.  I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.  That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil - this is the gift of God.  I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it.  God does it so that men will revere him.  Whatever is has already been, and what will be has been before; and God will call the past to account.  Ecclesiastes 3:11-15

I know you have seen someone before as they shook their head and cradled it in their hands, saying, "I have no choice, but to .......", or perhaps you have uttered those same words yourself during a moment of dispair.  I encounter adults every day in my office who believe they have no choice, who are helpless and hold no hope for their future.  They feel they are doomed to a life of misery. 
Our daughter is 22 years old and our son is 18 years old.  They have been raised to understand that they always have a choice.  The best choice may not be the easiest one to take, but rather than instant gratification, the best choice may be the one in which they will reap the rewards and/or benefits later, perhaps, much later.  I can't make their decisions for them.  Personal experience is the best teacher. 
Everything this side of Heaven is temporary.  Whatever we are contemplating today we will either face or ignore.  We will either turn to God and allow Him to lead us, guide us and direct us as we journey through this life as we know it or we will ignore Him.  We will either live for all eternity in the afterglow of a life lived for God or we will live in the aftermath of our empty life in which we excluded God.
I have not reached perfection.....far from it.  I do make mistakes, but I want to spend eternity with my Creator in Heaven and I make a conscious effort to do what would be pleasing to Him.  After the last breath has left my earthly body, I want my family and friends to rejoice.  This body of mine is a temporary covering.  My soul is not temporary.  My soul is the very essence of me.  God gave me/us a soul that will live for all eternity.  I will be somewhere and I will have a purpose after I cross over.  I want that somewhere to be with my Lord and Savior.
How about you?  How about a friend or family member who needs to be reminded of this?  Ask God to guide you as you gently, lovingly influence that person to turn back to Him.  It's not too late.  Never, never, never give up hope.  Be the example.  Set the standard.  Plant the seed.  Help prepare those you love for their unlimited forever.
Afterglow or aftermath.....live today as though it were the last day of your life.   In other words "Spend Your Dash Wisely".

Spend Your Dash Wisely
By: Nan Forehand

September 18, 1959 -
my ending date is yet unnamed
to the world I am not famed
I'm spending something more important than cash
each day I live, I'm spending my dash
to you, my dash may be a thin, little line
I find it's a very important sign
when my dates are carved on stone
my dash will represent the love I've shown
it will consist of every thing I've ever done
yes, in the dark and under the sun
dust to dust and ash to ash
a word to the wise - be careful how you spend your dash
written Wednesday, October 4, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment