Monday, March 14, 2011

A Charge To Keep I Have

Charge: a person or thing entrusted to someone's care.

Charles Wesley (1707-1788),  wrote the following:

A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify;
A never dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky.

To serve the present age,
My calling to fulfill
O may it all my powers engage
To do my Master's  will!

I understand Wesley's passion!  He didn't timidly utter those words.  I sense a great deal of power and commitment as I read line after line.  I get excited when I read Wesley's words!  What ever our calling, we must fulfill it with enthusiasm and great passion.  As we show positive energy and a steadfast devotion, others will be touched and encouraged themselves.
People are either cold, lukewarm or on fire for the Lord.  Charles Wesley was on fire.  It is better for one to be cold than lukewarm regarding their relationship with the Lord.  Persons lukewarm in their faith would do well to closely examine their thoughts and attitudes and earnestly repent of anything that takes a higher priority than their relationship with God.  You can go to Revelations 3:14-18 to get a better understanding of what happens to people whose relationship with God has become lukewarm.  The wrath of God isn't a thing with which to toy.  In my Quest NIV Study Bible it is worded in verse 16 "I am about to spit you out of my mouth".   We are talking in Sunday School about the wrath of God upon people who continuously "don't get it".....   If you get it, share it with someone else! I get it and I hope all the readers of Nan's Calendar get it.

Who am I to say these things to you today and why am I saying them at all?  I am but a humble servant of the Lord God and I care.  I truly don't know the hearts of all the readers of Nan's Calendar.  But God knows the heart of everyone on the face of the earth.  Some are cold, lukewarm or on fire for the Lord.  In my efforts to encourage, at times, God calls me to share a very serious aspect of relationships.  The most important relationship we will ever have is the one we have with God.

"....Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.  So be earnest, and repent.  Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.  To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.  He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelation 3:19-22.

To God be the glory!
Love, Nan



No comments:

Post a Comment