Thursday, March 17, 2011

Moderation is the Key

Eat honey, my son, for it is good; honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.  Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.
Proverbs 24:13-14

If you find honey, eat just enough---too much of it, and you will vomit.
Proverbs 25:16

I am amazed as I sit here this morning composing this message for you.  When I sat down at the computer, I asked God "Lord, what are we talking about today?"  As I allowed my mind to completely clear, I was aware of my Bible on the bed behind me.  I picked it up and opened it to the book of Proverbs.  And lo and behold, here is the message!
Since biblical times, it has been known that honey provides important nutrients we all need.  Consequently, should we overindulge, we may get sick, literally, as it says in verse 16!
Can one have too much wisdom?  I don't know that I consider myself to be wise, but I've learned a thing or two and I want to share with others some of the things I've learned.
What should we do when we find we have an over abundance of anything?  I adore teddy bears.  I don't remember having a teddy bear when I was a child.  When I was pregnant with Ashley, we decorated her nursery in a teddy bear theme and we even created a teddy bear mobile for her room.  To this day, I have all of those tiny bears in a box in the attic.
I have acquired, over time, a wonderful collection of teddy bears that rests upon Ashley's bed.  I think there may be a dozen of them.  Sometimes, when I go to the Goodwill store, I may find one or I may go months without finding the "right" bear.  Now, the question is, "do I really need all these beautiful teddy bears?"  I already know the answer.  The answer is a resounding "no"!  I want to share them with someone.  I can offer my collection to our local hospital emergency room to be given to a sick child or I can go to the local law enforcement office and inquire as to the possibility they may keep them in the trunk of their cars for distraught or injured children as they make their calls.
God has given me an abundance of love and compassion and I want to share it with the world!  What good does it do me to keep all these beautiful teddy bears for only myself to enjoy.  What good is love and compassion if I keep it all to myself?  Is it possible I could have too much love to give?  I don't think so.  Regardless of how much love I have or give away, I will have enough to share and just enough to keep.
If you receive any benefit from my daily love notes, that's great!  The good news about giving away my bears is that I will continue to visit the Goodwill store on occasion and I will surely find more beautiful bears.  After I have loved them and enjoyed them myself, I will pass them on to someone else who needs them more than I do.  The good news about giving away my love and compassion is that my supply will always be replenished.  I can only know if you benefit from the love I send to you if you let me know you've received it.  My love is a gift.  I hold it out to you and offer it to you.  It's up to you to accept it or to refuse it.  Positive attracts positive and negative attracts negative.  It's that simple.  Moderation is the key!  If you have too much of anything, let go of some of it, whether it's clothes in the closet you haven't worn for a long time or if it's negative thoughts or negative influences or negative habits or if it's a collection of teddy bears!
Take care and have a wonderful day! Love, Nan

1 comment:

  1. I am realizing that THINGS don't mean that much to me any more. I'm checking with my son and his family first, then taking several things to the resale shop where they sell things and the needy benefit. In that way, I'm helping someone else. I went there one time and found the perfect lamp for my living room. I love it!

    Geneva

    ReplyDelete