Wednesday, March 2, 2011

With Gentleness and Patience

We cannot always be doing great work, but we can always be doing something that belongs to our condition.  To be silent, to suffer, to pray when we cannot act, is acceptable to God.  A disappointment, a contradiction, a harsh word, an annoyance, a wrong received and endured as in His presence, is worth more than a long prayer.  We do not lose time if we bear loss with gentleness and patience, provided the loss was inevitable, and was not caused by our own fault.
Francois Fenelon (1651-1715) French theologian and writer

Fenelon, an archbishop, wrote Christian Counsel and Spiritual Letters.  It has been said these writtings illustrate his keen sense of spiritual counsel.

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.  Romans 8:18

I feel privileged to have discovered today's quote in one of my many books.  As I opened the book this morning, this quote practically jumped off the page at me and caused my body to be covered with glory bumps!  To be so inspired by the writings of a man who died in 1715 is the same way I feel when I read my Bible.  In the book of Romans, Paul speaks of suffering.  No one is immune from suffering.  However, it is very important how we behave through the time of suffering that matters immensely.  And we will suffer.  As we suffer, we identify with the suffering endured by Jesus.  We also suffer because "the world" is hostile to God and because we are followers of God, it is no surprise that suffering comes our way.
It is important to remember that we can still be filled wth joy as we suffer grief or loss.  Yes, we mourn the loss of a loved one.  It is an honor and a tribute to that loved one when we speak to others of that person's life and their positive impact on ourselves and others during their lifetime.  Remember with gladness of heart the privilege of sharing in the joys of that person's life while in human form.  My Mama breathed her last breath in Sept. 1984, but she lives in my heart forever.  Her love will never die as long as I remember her and tell others of her love and compassion.  Because she lived, I am here today to encourage you!  Little did she know how my life would turn out!  It was a mystery to her what I would do with my life and it is a mystery to me what I will do with the rest of my life.  Rest assured, I will continue to be an encourager! 
I want to share a poem with you I wrote as a tribute to Mama.  In the poem I mention tears....at some point, I stopped crying.  I can't remember how long it has been since I cried as I remembered Mama, but in time, your tears will dry and you will remember your loved one with a smile and the lump in your throat will disappear.  I speak today of suffering and grief because that is what God has entrusted me to share with you.  Receive comfort and encouragement from the Lord through my humble offering to you.

Beautiful and Sweet as any Rose

written by Nan Forehand 
December 2004

Warm and soft
fragrance so sweet
caressed by the morning fair.
Strawberry blonde the color of her hair.
Instead of a thorn in her finger
a needle and thread would linger.
Smile slowly crossed ruby red lips
new calico dress slipped over my hips.
Thank you Lord she witnessed me wed.
Too soon dear Mother was dead.
Beautiful as a velvet rose
A Christian life she chose.
Yes, she’s been gone many years.
Wet cheeks still feel the tears.
Her Lord and Savior she did love
and He took her to His mansion above.
Up from the grave she arose
beautiful and sweet as any rose.
These words and a flower carved on her stone.
Mama now sits by her Master’s throne.








1 comment:

  1. Amen Nan! My head and my heart just need to come together in the same place. Until then my tears do still flow...I realize more for me than for my Mom for I know she has joined my Dad in the Heavens above...Glory to God
    Hugs, Judi :-)

    ReplyDelete