Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Eye to Eye Contact

I think back to the times when our children were growing up and we had to have some "eye to eye" contact.  When my God-given "Mama alarm" went off and I had to address a situation and had something to say that a child didn't want to hear or accept, I noticed downcast eyes.  I would say "look into my eyes when I'm talking to you".  Although you don't know the tone of my voice at that moment, my children will remember; spoken firmly and with love.  Whatever I had to say meant more when they looked into my eyes, for there, they saw through the discipline and looked into the eyes of love.  Was it because of some untruth exposed that turned their eyes away from me?  Whatever it was, it wasn't strong enough to keep us apart.  They learned their lessons and my respect for them grew as they accepted responsibility and discipline.  

Sometimes, we turn our eyes away from the Lord when we know we haven't been completely truthful with Him.  Looking in my eyes was a test of truthfulness for my children.  Accepting responsibility for our words and our actions and when the conscience is clear of guilt, we can gaze into the eyes of the Lord.  He wants us to have eye to eye contact with Him and see us being truthful, guiltless and reconciled with Him.

2 Chronicles 7:14
.......if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

God's promises do apply to us today.  It's important to be careful, though, because if we try to fit God's general principles into a specific situation, we may be out of line.  I trust in God's guidance each and every time I sit here at my computer composing a message for you that I keep the verses I use in the proper context.  We will do well to learn from the examples of others so that things will go better for us, as individuals and as nations, when we live according to God's principles of right living.

Take care and remember the importance of eye to eye contact.  Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment