Saturday, October 10, 2009

When We Least Expect It - Psalm 9:10

(10) Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Hebrews 10:23-25
(23) Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.  (24) And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.  (25) Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another -- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

It's a good thing I'm not overly concerned about planning the events of my day.  That's for God to do.  It is for me to be attentive and alert to his calling and sometimes, nudging me in the direction he wants me to go.  When I least expect it, God will put someone in front of me who needs to be on the receiving end of encouragement.  Sometimes, he puts me in a place where someone will cross my path and the encouragement is intended for me.

It is as though time and space take on a new dimension when another person and I are engaged in a conversation blessed by God, himself.  When I left home this morning, I didn't plan to go to my neighborhood Belk store before returning home.  It was late in the afternoon and I had just left my daughter and her husband (another God given opportunity to be in the right place at the right time) and instead of turning left at the highway, I turned right.  I found myself in my local Belk.  I wondered what was my purpose for being there.  I soon understood why I was there.  I made my selection of a pretty golden colored top for myself and a polo style shirt of a similar hue for Allen.  Naturally, both items were on sale and affordable.  After a few more minutes of browsing, I proceeded to the checkout area.  There, to my surprise, was my purpose for being in the store standing right in front of me in the form of a lovely employee who assisted me in the completion of my purchase. The lady with beautiful brown skin, who I learned later is 61 years old, and I began to engage in a casual conversation.  Very quickly, and with such ease, our conversation turned toward God and how he has brought both of us from the depths of despair to a place where our hearts are continually filled with joy.  Vivian and I stood there praising God and we shared a beautiful time of worship right there in the store.  As there wasn't a single person in her area, we conversed completely uninterrupted.  By the end of our conversation, we had exchanged names and phone numbers and gave each other a tender hug.  As we said our goodbye, a lady customer approached us and I'm quite sure she thought Vivian and I had known each other for years.  Little did she know we had just met moments before.  We parted company with high spirits filled with joy and thanksgiving.  I smiled all the way out of that store and into the parking lot.  I laughed out loud and a broad smile stretched across my face when I heard the song in my car stereo system playing "let the sun shine; let the sun shine; let the sun shine in"  The Son surely shone in my heart and in Vivian's heart this afternoon!

When we seek God's will and direction, he will be found by us and when we least expect it, blessings will overflow.  In this life, God will put someone directly in my path;  sometimes, it is a person I will encourage and then again, it is I, who will be on the receiving end of encouragement.

Be ready.  When you least expect it ........

Take care and have a wonderful day!  Be ready!  In Christian love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment