Thursday, December 3, 2009

What's On Your Altar - Romans 5:3-5

Quote of the Day
We take one feeling, one story about our childhood, and place it on the altar of our lives, holding it as sacred truth, making it more true than anything else in the world.   When hurt comes, we say, "Ah, there it is again: the real story of my life." When disappointment, or fear, or anger arises, we feel comfort in knowing that we are now in familiar territory.  This disappointment, this fear, this anger -- this is our real story.
Wayne Muller from his book entitled Legacy of the Heart The Spiritual Advantages Of A Painful Childhood

I get excited when the message doesn't go out early in the morning, because that tells me God's special plan for the message will come from an external source beyond my home.  Yes, I stopped by the Goodwill store on the way home tonight and found nine awesome books for a total of twelve dollars and change.  Among them is the book from which today's quote comes.  Yes, my childhood was, to a particular extent, painful.  I haven't associated with the pain for a very long time.  In fact, my perceived pain faded into nothingness, so that now, there isn't a trace to be found.  I don't have nightmares or flashbacks, guilt, shame, inferiority complex, or a myriad of other negative descriptions to describe it. Because I have God to thank for all the happy memories and all the blessings bestowed upon me, I'm too grateful to be bitter about the negative things that happened to me long ago.  I really did let go and let God.
As we walk along the pathway of life, we will, at times, come upon a crossroad and it becomes necessary to do some very deep thinking to determine which road to take.  There will be curves in the road and we can't see very far ahead to get a glimpse of which road will be the best one to take.   This is when we exercise trust and faith in God that He will lead us down the right path.
Upon my altar, I lay my life before God and trust Him with it completely, having absolute faith in Him and His plan for my present and my future.  My altar is a sacred place where I don't allow negatives to take up precious space.  I only offer my best at the altar.  I relax and become comfortable.  I belong here and rest in peace.  I am healed, filled with love and I am free from my self-imposed suffering.  I am happy and content.  God offers me His gifts of mercy and love and I accept them.  There are only two at my altar- my God and me.  I belong to Him.  He is my Creator and my friend.  We go everywhere together.  We are inseparable.  I abide in Him and He abides in me.
Nan's Calendar is a Legacy of Love.  My life is overflowing with goodness and  blessings.  Yes, there are spiritual advantages of a painful childhood.  We realize this mainly by reflection and discovering the good that came out of  bad experience(s).  I am so very thankful to have a personal relationship with God and to know and understand His timeless truths.  I hope this legacy of love means as much to you as it does to me.  It is my gift to you and to God for all He has done for me.  Now go and comfort those with the comfort you yourself have received.
What's on your altar?

Bitter or Better

By: Nan Forehand
the choice is up to you my friend
it really does matter in the end
as you think - so you are
with a positive attitude you'll be richer by far
you may or may not control the circumstances
mistakes will be made so God allows second chances
in your problems, rejoice
remember, it's your choice
God can use a situation when others are mean
to your advantage when wisdom you glean
put your life in God's hands
He doesn't take kindly to demands
humble yourself before the LORD
within His heart strikes a tender chord
His desire is to make you more godly
He wants you praisin' not cursin'
will you be a bitter or better person
the choice is up to you my friend
it really does matter in the end

written Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Romans 5:3-5

.....(3) but, we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perserverance; (4)perserverance, character; and character, hope. (5) And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.


No comments:

Post a Comment