Monday, May 3, 2010

Gotta love a mystery

“Without mysteries, life would be very dull indeed. What would be left to strive for if everything were known?”  Charles de Lint

Last Friday, a dear girl friend of mine went with several other ladies on an overnight "flower tour".  I had to work so I couldn't join them.  Their schedule included visiting several plant nurseries on a sightseeing and buying tour.  There were enough stops on the agenda they planned for a night in a hotel and split the tour into two full days. 
I had a little extra money and asked my friend to purchase some plants for me.  We love talking about plants and flowers, to say the least.  We share our plants with each other and look through flower catalogs together.  She was delighted to spend my money for me and I was just as delighted in the mystery surrounding which plants she would purchase for me.  I trust her judgment and she knows the plants I have and the ones I don't have. 
I could hardly wait until today when she brought the plants to me.  I now have columbine, bee balm, angel earring trailing fushia and a gorgeous Beverly Sill iris.  The color of the columbine is a mystery.  I've never grown any of these varieties before and I'm so excited to include them in my garden.  I spent the better part of my evening outside, digging in the dirt.  I have chores to do inside the house, but since we had a good soaking rain this morning, it was a perfect time to settle these new plants in the ground.  I also moved my hybiscus to a new location. 
Why am I rambling on about plants, you might ask yourself.  Life is meant to be enjoyed, not to merely go through the motions.  If you don't have a passion for something, you are missing out.  Life is full of mysteries.  Delight yourself in them instead of shirking from them.  Delight yourself in the Lord instead of shirking from Him.  Yes, there are a multitude of mysteries about God.  It is not for us to struggle with unraveling the mysteries.  Rather, remember the quote of the day and enjoy a good mystery.  Sometimes I'm asked on Friday, "what do you have planned for the weekend?"  Often I reply, "I don't know.  It's a mystery."  I love mysteries and surprises.  I find it exciting to be spontaneous and sometimes am not the greatest planner of events.  I love to let go and let God do the leading and directing of my time, rather than to try to be in total control.  Especially since I know who is truly in control.  Yep. God is in control.
Have a wonderful day!  Thanks so much for hanging in there and reading this message in its entirety!!
Love, Nan
Be sure to go to the bottom of this page and enjoy the photo of my pink rose.  It is awesome!  Thanks to God's gift of creativity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment