Thursday, July 1, 2010

Worshiping In The Berry Patch

Anything you do that brings pleasure to God is an act of worship.
Rick Warren

I am a natural born picker.  I have always loved to get my hands on anything that is ripe for the picking, whether it is cucumbers, beans, berries; you name it!  God is pleased when I'm out there partaking of the natural produce He has abundantly provided. Yes, berry picking is an act of worship.  In fact, preparing some delectable treat with the berries is a secondary pleasure for me.  I am happy to gather the crop and give the bounty to anyone who needs it or wants it.  I simply love to gather fruit and produce.  God freely provides us with this bountiful crop and I am pleasing (worshipping) God as I gather it in my bucket.  It's not about me, really.  It's about God.  As I offer my time, energy and effort to pick berries, etc, I am fully in the moment.  All worries or negativity leaves me.  Sure, my fingers get pricked from the thorns in the blackberry thicket, but I don't consider that to be a deterent.  I pick those berries with passion and commitment.  I walk round and round that thicket trying to make sure I don't miss any ripe berries.  Passion and commitment.....that is what true worship is about.  I didn't set the plants in the ground.  God saw to it that the plants came up out of the ground and became fruitful.  I am thankful for the opportunity to commune with God and nature and be a part of something very special.  Yes, berry picking is special.  I dedicate my berry picking to God and I am aware of His presence as I pluck the ripe, juicy berries.  Anything we do, whether it is a mundane chore or difficult task, is an act of worship when we do it for the glory of God and are keenly aware of His presence at the time.  In fact, the mundane aspect of the chore disappears when we turn our perspective toward God.  It is a privilege to be alive.  It is a privilege to have work to do.  It is a blessing that we are able to perform any task, large or small. 
Sometimes we misunderstand and misuse the word worship.  Worshipping is not for us.  It is for God.  There are far too many facets of worship to cover in this message.  The bottom line is this: whatever you do, do it in spirit and truth, and do it all for the glory of God.
Do something today that brings a smile to God.  Trust me, you will sense the glow on God's face when you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment