Thursday, October 14, 2010

The greatness comes.....

The greatness comes not when things go always good for you. But the greatness comes when you're really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments, when sadness comes. But only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain. Richard Nixon




This quote reminds me of the valley of the shadow of death and the spiritual mountaintop. I have been in the deepest valley (the valley of the shadow of death 27 years ago). I never forgot how it felt in that valley. It wasn't a lush, fertile valley. Rather, I truly looked death in the face and lived to tell about it.

If you have never reached the summit, don't stop now! It is one of the most incredible experiences you will ever know! This spiritual high can only be reached, as Mr. Nixon says, if you've been in the deepest valley. I know this spiritual mountaintop truly exists.....it does....I've been there! There truly aren't words to describe this experience. Really, I couldn't have felt closer to God than if I had been sitting on His lap. One thing is for certain, it was a very long way from that deepest valley to the summit. It took years to get there and I never even heard of such a thing as a mountaintop experience until it happened to me.

This is why I write these devotions each day. I've been through that valley and desire with all my heart to accompany others through it. You don't have to take that journey alone. Even if I'm not there with you, always know God is there with you every step of the way. Maybe through my words of encouragement and hope, your stay in that valley won't last as long as mine did. Yes, sometimes, we will have to go through that deep, dark valley, but that won't be the end of us. There is a beautiful life beyond the valley. Trudge, if you must, cry when you need to, wipe your tears, take a deep breath and trudge. The longer you travel, keeping your focus on God, the straighter you will begin to walk, the lighter your steps will become and your faith will be strengthened. You don't have to walk alone!

Take care. Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment