Friday, October 15, 2010

Lessons of Life

One must learn the necessary lessons of life. It is our choice to learn the easy way or the hard way.


We choose to obey or we choose to rebel. It's as simple as that. I remember my Mama telling me this as I was growing up. Mama died 26 years ago.  She would be proud of how far I have come in my faith and the lasting impact she had on my early, formative years. Now that I have been a mother for almost 23 years, I would love to be able to sit with Mama and have a conversation with her - Mama to Mama. She died four years before our first child was born. She knew God had plans for my life even when I didn't believe it myself. How could He have plans for someone such as I. Back then, my opinion of myself was less than glowing. There were so many things I couldn't do, so many lessons I learned the hard way. What did I have to offer God? How could He possibly use me? Obedience isn't a lesson one usually learns the easy way. At some point, after years of God's nurturing presence in my life, I finally understood. God prepared me when I didn't know I was being prepared. I had committed my life to Him and in doing so, I began to learn some of life's lessons the easy way. What a relief! He supplies everything I could possibly need to accomplish His will. If there are any consequences along the way, He guides me through them, as well, loving me all the while.
Submitting to His will in all circumstances is a deliberate decision every day. I have had failures and I have had successes. I have learned how to live my life fully committed to Him and to trust and obey Him. One of my favorite hymns is called Trust and Obey. Because I am a work in progress, I still have more lessons to learn. In fact, as long as I live and breathe, there will be lessons of life for me to learn. There is peace in my world.....I pray for peace in your world. Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment