Tuesday, March 8, 2011

........on the giving end.

I stopped by Food Lion for a few grocery items on the way home from work last night.  As I crossed the parking lot, I noticed, lying on the pavement, the back side of a personal check.  No one was close by as I picked it up.  It was obvious to me the owner of the check dropped it as she approached her vehicle.  The purchase receipt wasn't with it and it was still in good  condition.  I called the number listed on the check as I stood in the parking lot.  I asked for the lady whose name was printed on it.  She came to the phone and I explained how I came to have her check in my possession.  Her checking account number could have come into the wrong hands as easily as it came into my hands.  I could tell she is an older lady by the sound of her voice and she was tremendously thankful when I told her that I would send the check back to her by mail the next morning.  She could tell by my conversation with her that I could be trusted with this sensitive information.
I had a spare envelope in the car and walked back and addressed the envelope then and there and put the check in it for safe keeping while I did my shopping.  This morning as I dressed for work, this lady kept coming into my mind and I wanted to do more for her than return the check.  I only gave her my first name during the conversation and I gave her a basic idea of where I live.  As I have a nice collection of inspirational books in my library, I asked God which one would be the one to send her in the mail along with the check.  To give her one of my books would be the perfect gesture, especially since Allen thinks I have too many books.  I ask you, can one ever have too many books?  My library actually has 10 less books now, including this one, since I gave away nine other books within the past week.   But, those are stories for another day!  Oh, wait!  I did buy several books in the Goodwill store before going to work this morning!
I chose for her one of my favorite books.  It's a paperback version of "When I'm On My Knees" written by Anita Corrine Donahue.  It looked brand new, as I take very good care of my books.  I searched the book from front to back, looking for the right message.  As she pulls her check from between the pages she will notice a particular message.
I didn't write my return address on the outside of the envelope as I didn't think it was necessary.  It's not for me to get credit for doing a good deed, but I intended for her to have a surprise in her mailbox when she least expects it.  The book and check were put in the mail to her today.  I smile as I think of the joy God will have in His heart as she opens the envelope to find more than she expected to find.  I also smile and wonder what thoughts will go through her mind as she discovers her surprise.  I love surprises, especially giving them.  Though I won't be there to see her face when the book slides out of the envelope, I smile at the thought of it.
The title of the message I chose was "In You I Believe".  It is a beautiful message and regardless of what her relationship is with God, I know she will be touched by the message.  The last sentence reads as follows "In all the uncertainties around me, I trust in You, I believe in You, and I know You guard all that I do."
God guarded her personal checking account when she had no clue it could be in jeopardy.  God put me where He needed me when He needed me there to assist in protecting this senior lady's money.
I believe it was God's intention for me to find her check, and to not only return it, but to include a special inspirational book for her and to share the story with you tonight.
Yes, some things really are free.  She will receive, within a day or so, her check and a beautiful, free book and a fresh perspective of her fellow citizens.  And, I'm sure, she has a thankful heart that her checking account number didn't fall into the hands of someone who would have evil thoughts, which could turn into evil actions.   It is entirely possible she and I may have had a pleasant encounter in Food Lion prior to yesterday's incident and we may never be aware.  It's a mystery!
You never know when you will be on the receiving end of a most pleasant surprise when you least expect it!   Be alert for opportunities to be on the giving end!
My big white kitty is loving all over me as I type this message.  She's letting me know it's time to go to bed!  It is currently 11:16 p.m.  I lost track of the time!  She's right!  It's time to call it a day!  Take care!  Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment