Friday, March 25, 2011

Stress-Free, Tranquil Life

I slept and dreamt that life was joy
I awoke and saw that life was service
I acted and behold service was joy
Rabindranath Tagore, Bengali poet of Calcutta

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 8-9

It can all be joy in your inner world.  Sleep and dream of joy, and remember above all else: You feel good not because the world is right, but your world is right because you feel good.  Dr. Wayne Dyer from his book entitled The Power of Intention

I want to share with you Dr. Dyer's ten step program for creating a stress-free, tranquil life.  I found his plan very interesting.  He holds a doctorate in educational counseling from Wayne State University and was an associate professor at St. John's University in New York.

Step 1: Remember that your natural state is joy.
Step 2: Your thoughts, not the world, cause your stress.
Step 3: You can change your thoughts of stress in any given moment, and eliminate the anxiety for the next few moments, or even hours and days.
Step 4: Monitor your stressful thoughts by checking on your emotional state right in the moment.
Step 5: Make a conscious choice to select a thought that will activate good feelings.
Step 6: Spend some time observing babies, and vow to emulate their joy.
Step 7: Keep "Rule Number 6" in mind.
Step 8: Accept the guidance of your Source of intention.
Step 9: Practice being in silence and meditation.
Step 10: Stay in a state of gratitude and awe.

I work for a fantastic psychiatrist and am so thankful to God for being in my position and this field of medicine.  I consider him much more than one trained to prescribe medicine.  I consider him a teacher and have a great deal of respect for him. He is not a pill pusher.  He teaches people techniques of relaxation and creating their own peace.   He introduced me to the book I mentioned earlier and I purchased it from my nearby Goodwill at some point in time.  Not all psychiatrists follow the same style of practicing medicine.
I am enthused about this book and believe all of us can learn from Dr. Dyer's ten step program for creating a higher quality of life.  I just touched on the steps he mentions in the book.  He goes into great detail in each step. You will be surprised when you read about "Rule Number 6".   I encourage you to look for this book in your travels.  Perhaps you can check it out from your local library if you aren't sure you want to purchase it.  I look forward to reading more myself!
Take care and have a great day!  Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment